- The goal of the game is to capture the opponent's king or to "checkmate" your opponent's King. "Checkmate" occurs when a king is attacked and the king cannot escape capture on the next move.
- Chess is a game played by two players, who are called White and Black (or Dark). Chess is played on a board of 64 squares. Each square can be empty or occupied by a game piece. Players alternate making moves on the game board with their pieces until checkmate, a draw or a surrender is reached.
How To Play:
- The KING can move to one square at a time and can move to all adjacent squares.
- The QUEEN can move until she meets an obstacle (end of the board or other game piece), in straight lines, and in diagonals.
- The ROOK can move in horizontal and vertical lines, all the way until it meets an obstacle (end of the board or a piece).
- The BISHOP can move diagonally, all the way until it meets an obstacle (the end of the board or another piece).
- The KNIGHT can move in an L shape (making up a total of 4 squares: 3 and 1), and is able to "jump" over other pieces.
- The PAWN can initially move one or two squares straight ahead, but then once it left it original position it can only move one square straight ahead. A pawn can capture an enemy piece by moving diagonally one square. For clarity, the pawn is the only piece that cannot move backwards.
"Chessmaster has been apart of my chess game for a long time. A great way to refine my game and learn new tricks."
"My brothers always beat me at chess, but after buying chessmaster challenge my game has improved and I'm a strong competitor...but i just play for fun ;)"
"A fantastic game to learn the in's and out's of chess!"
Play the #1 Chess Game!
Master the world’s most popular game and discover the Chessmaster in you! Based on the award-winning Chessmaster series, with over 5 million copies sold, Chessmaster Challenge is your teacher, mentor, and ultimate opponent.
Whether you are learning chess, improving your strategy, or competing against world-class chess players like Josh Waitzkin, this game will make you a better player while offering hours of mind-twisting fun. Get ready to battle the Chessmaster himself!
New to chess?
Try the step-by-step tutorials where you learn at your own pace. You can learn how pieces move, how to Castle, avoid common move pitfalls, create a Fork and other playing strategies used by grand chess masters around the world.
Take a break from the tutorials to practice your strategies, with six chess sets and over 25 AI opponents to choose from.
Up for a puzzling challenge?
Now one of the oldest games in history has a new way to test your skills. Tickle your brain with 8 types of chess puzzles to test your know-how before competing against friends.
Mastering strategies like finding Forks, Checks, Checkmates, and Pinned pieces will aid you in your quest to become a Chessmaster. Don’t worry, you won’t get the same puzzle twice!
Ready to Checkmate?
Jump right into your game with six chess set designs and one of two game modes. Choose Training mode if you want to learn from your mistakes, master opening strategies, and receive hints such as Legal or Dangerous Moves.
Play Ranked mode if you’re ready for real competition with tournament-style rankings. Watch out for expert players such as Josh Waitzkin!